Prescot Towntrail - Part 4

On the left, just after Hope Street, is the Hope and Anchor Inn which is an extravagant, mainly twentieth century building, built out of sandstone and brick. Further along the High Street on the same side of the road was one of the many sites formerly occupied (between 1759-1924) by the Prescot Grammar School which was founded in 1544.

Turn right into Atherton Street, once the site of many watchmaking factories. The Street is named after Joseph and Jacob Atherton who founded the British Insulated Wire Company in 1891. This rapidly expanded and became known as the British Insulated Cable Company, or more simply as BICC in 1891. The company built an extensive industrial-complex covering a large area to the south east of the town. From here their electric cables were manufactured for use across the world. For the first half of the twentieth century it was the largest employer in the town, but this has declined with the introduction of new technologies.