View of Halsnead Hall, Whiston


Ref. No.: WH92/1DUP
Date of Photo: 1928.

Halsnead Hall was built in 1684 by Thomas Willis. It was known as the 'Red Hall' due to its use of the local red sandstone. In 1789, Richard Willis altered the front of the house according to John Soane's designs. The way in was through the lodge gates on Foxes Bank Lane or through the lodge on Windy Arbor Road opposite to the Parish Church. Around the house were shrubberies, wilderness walks, kitchen gardens, greenhouses, a walled orchard, many carriage roads and a lake (Big Water). It was sold in 1929 and was demolished in 1932.

© Copyright.