Corpse Way, Huyton Lane
 
 

 

Ref. No.: WFN97
Date of Photo: 1998.

The Corpse Way, also known as the Cinder Path, next to Thornton Leigh, Huyton Lane, Huyton. This is the last remaining section of an ancient pathway that was used by the local inhabitants of Tarbock to bring their dead to Huyton Parish Church for burial during the winter time.

The path was first used following an agreement made in 1520, between Thomas Tarbock of Tarbock Hall and Hamlet Harrington of Huyton Hey to allow the path to be used as a route to the church. The footpath now ends at Victoria Road but in the past it continued across the edge of open fields to Tarbock.




© Copyright.