The medieval village of Roby was clustered around the crossroads of what is today Station Road, Roby Road and Carr Lane. In the centre was the Cross, the exact date or purpose of which remains unclear, although it has also been called the Market Cross, Stocks Cross (from the stocks which were in front of it until the early 19th century) and the Boundary Stone. For many years it had the impressive Edenhurst Cottages for a backdrop.
The Hall in Roby, was known as Bury Hall in the 16th century after the family who lived there, although its precise age is unknown. In 1761, John Williamson, Mayor of Liverpool, built a new building to the south-west of the Old Hall, and both buildings feature on the Ordnance Survey maps.