Whilst copyholders were entitled to dig the coal on their land, the main mine was at Prescot Hall which lay at the bottom of Hall Lane. In the mid sixteenth century this was let by the Layton family who built a new Hall in 1562 which was described a few years later as having; 'a dining hall, kitchen and several bedrooms together with two barn stables'. The house was over time, extended and rebuilt and was eventually demolished in the 1930s.
The town roads were greatly enhanced by the Turnpike Trust of 1726 between Liverpool and St. Helen's. Prescot was a major point along the route which split into two on Church Street; one to St. Helen's (via the High Street and St. Helen's Road), the other to Warrington (via Market Place and Kemble Street). Although the Liverpool-Manchester railway, the world's first passenger service, was opened in 1830 and stopped at nearby Huyton it was not until 1871 with the construction of a branch-line between Huyton and St. Helen's that Prescot got its own railway station. This was followed thirty years later with it's first tramlines which followed the established routes to both St. Helen's and Warrington.