Knowsley Village History - Part 3

In 1923, on the North Wall of the Chancel and Sanctuary, a Mosaic was constructed this being a gift of the 17th Earl, in memory of his father. There is also an oak bench which dates from the 17th Century and on the wall facing the North porch is a 16th Century carved wooden Coat of Arms. Within the Church are also some beautiful examples of stained glass windows. Although three former Earls and their wives are buried in the family vault inside the Church, due to flooding, more recent burials of the Stanley family have taken place in the Derby Plot within the churchyard, close to the lychgate. The last Derby burial being that of Edward John Stanley, 18th Earl, who died in 1994.

A little further north of St. Mary's Church is the village green which in times past included the village maypole. The area is known as the Knowsley Triangle: around it stand the old Village School which is now a restaurant, the Village Hall, and on the triangular green itself, the War Memorial commemorating those connected with the parish who gave their lives during the Great War.