A Chapel may have existed here in the 12th Century but one certainly existed by 1398 when Thomas del Ryding was Vicar of Huyton. The likely location of this Chapel was on Riding Hill within the vast Knowsley Park. For centuries, marriages and funerals of the local inhabitants took place at either nearby Huyton Parish Church or Prescot Parish Church until Knowsley eventually became its own independent parish.
Knowsley Parish Church located on Knowsley Lane was dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and was built between 1841-1844. The building was consecrated by John Birch, Bishop of Chester on 6th June 1844. The Church which cost £20,000 to build, was paid for by the 13th Earl of Derby and since its construction has gained many interesting features to its interior.
In 1871 a Memorial Chapel to the memory of the 14th Earl was built by public subscription. In the Derby Chapel is an effigy of the 14th Earl, who was born at Knowsley in 1799 and was buried there in 1869.