Ref. No.: KN69
Date of Photo: c. 1950.
Edward John inherited the title on the death of his grandfather in 1948, and in the same year he married Lady Milles-Lade. He was educated at Eton and Oxford and during WWII whilst serving with the Grenadier Guards in Italy he was awarded the Military Cross. He held the titles of Baron Stanley of Bickerstaffe and Baron Stanley of Preston and was also Lord-Lieutenant of the County Palatine of Lancaster in 1951.
Due to enormous death duties and taxation, Lord Derby presented the Church of England Schools, playing fields, and School Cottage to the Church Authorities in 1949. This was followed by the transfer of St. Mary's Church itself. The Earl also had to sell some of the old houses in the village in 1950. He died on the 28th November 1994, and was succeeded by his nephew.