Although Lathom House, near Ormskirk, was the chief seat of the family (until it's destruction in the Civil War), the first Earl must have kept a great house at Knowsley. He built the 'Royal Lodging' in 1495 in honour of Henry VII's visit. In the late sixteenth century it had 118 servants including two trumpeters and a Fool named Henry. By the mid 17th century, the Hall was a huddle of buildings, of various dates, materials and uses that ran along the north-south line of the site of the present building. Beyond the Royal Lodging were the kitchens and various court offices, to the east was the chapel with the stables to the north.