Halewood Origin and History - Part 4

The southern portion of the township, Halebank, close to the Mersey, became the industrial sector due to its close ties with nearby Ditton and Widnes; so much so, that the 'Ireland' portion of Halebank became part of the Widnes Corporation in 1920. Land in Halewood North End and part of Halebank held by the 17th Earl of Derby, was sold to Liverpool Corporation in 1930 and subsequent plans were made for housing development in the township to alleviate the problem of overcrowding in central Liverpool.

From the mid-1950's onwards, large housing estates including tower blocks were built to cater for the surge in the population; an increase of ten-fold by the 1970's.