The North End of the township retained its rural roots despite the railway; while the area around Lane Ends evolved into Halewood Village with the building in 1839 of St. Nicholas' as a Chapel of Ease to the churches of Childwall and Huyton. The building was greatly enlarged in 1847, becoming a rectory and therefore a true Parish Church in 1868 with the tower and bells added around 1883. The village school was built next door to the church in 1876. For the non-conformists in the area, a Wesleyan Chapel was built at Halebank in 1861.
Other central landmarks remain, in the form of the Derby Arms and the Eagle and Child in Church Road, both of which feature prominently, along with the now defunct brewery, on the historic Tithe Map of the area produced in 1843.
One of the oldest highways in the township is Lower Road (formerly Lower Lane) where one can still see many fine old houses and farms including: Irelands Farm; The Hayes, the main house of which has a builder's stone dated 1867; Wellcroft Cottages; Brook House; Harefield/Ashton Hey and many others.