Huyton Origin and History - Part 4

With changing industrial development during the 19th Century, the area of Huyton Quarry expanded rapidly. Quarrying took place here, as did coal mining; the area at various times boasted a coarse earthenware pottery, an iron works, a gas works, a blue works, an electric lamp works and later a chairmaking factory. Short streets of terraced housing were built throughout this portion of the township to accommodate the workforce.

Other places of worship appeared during the 19th Century. Park Hall the original Congregational Church in Huyton Hey Road, was built in 1856 with the attached school completed in 1861. In 1890, a larger church at the junction of Victoria Road and Seel Road was built. Similarly, the original Roman Catholic Chapel of St. Agnes of 1856, was replaced by a modern style structure completed in 1965.