Huyton Origin and History - Part 2

The focal point of Huyton is the historic Parish Church dedicated to St. Michael which stands (as many churches of this name), occupying high ground on a ridge and therefore visible throughout the township. There may have originally been a Saxon church on this site but a church certainly existed here in the 12th Century for it was granted to the Priory of Burscough, by Robert, son of Henry de Lathom (whose family are remembered by the present-day Lathom Road). The present church building is of medieval origin, which, despite having been subsequently altered over many centuries, retains notable features of the different periods. Within the church is an early Norman font found buried under the Tower in 1872. A second font of octagonal design and a rood screen, which date from the 15th Century, were added later. The list of past clergy begins with Richard de Walton who was rector in 1254.