Recorded as Quitstan, Wystan, Quystan, Whystan, Whytstan, Whyghtstan, Quistan, Whistan, Whiston.
First mention of Halsnead.
First mention of coal mining in the area.
Carr House (WH6) built.
Thomas Willis bought Halsnead.
Almshouses built on Warrington Road by Oliver Lyme for the poor of the district.
Carr Colliery opened.
First mention of a Pottery in Whiston.
Whiston and Halsnead Collieries opened.
The Liverpool and Manchester Railway opened.
Whiston village school (Msc/94:A1/16) built.
Prescot Union Workhouse opened (later to become Whiston Hospital).
St. Nicholas Parish Church (WH92/14) consecrated.
Formation of Whiston Rural District Council.
Whiston Colliery closed.
Halsnead Colliery closed.
Tushingham's Metallic Brick Works started production.
Cronton Colliery (WH93/20) first coal raised.
Stoves Ltd., gas appliance manufacturers opened their factory in Stoney Lane. The factory site straddles the boundary of Whiston and Rainhill.
War Memorial (WH92/4) in the grounds of St, Nicholas Church struck by lightning (replaced by a new memorial in the 1930s (WH92/20)).
Halsnead Estate (WH92/1DUP) sold by auction.
Halsnead Hall demolished.
St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church, Shaw Lane; foundation stone laid. Opened for services in mid-1940.
Whiston becomes part of the newly created Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley (WFN176).
(figures in brackets are reference numbers of photos in the main site)