Knowsley Village Timeline


  • 1435

    Sir Thomas Stanley, 2nd Lord Stanley created 1st Earl of Derby.

  • 1495

    Henry VII visited Knowsley.

  • 1589

    Shakespeare reputedly performed in a play at Knowsley.

  • 1770's

    Landscaped gardens constructed by Capability Brown.

  • 1780

    The 'Derby' horse race founded by the 12th Earl.

  • 1780's

    Menagerie founded at Knowsley Park.

  • 1820

    Prince Regent George IV entertained at Knowsley Hall.

  • 1841-44

    Church of St. Mary the Virgin built at the expense of 13th Earl of Derby.

  • 1844

    St. Mary's Church (KN15) consecrated.

  • 1871

    A Memorial Chapel including an effigy (KN83) erected by public subscription in St. Mary's Church to the memory of 14th Earl.

  • 1887

    Yew tree planted in the St. Mary's churchyard and celebrations took place in the village to commemorate the Jubilee.

  • 1890

    State dining room (LS/X/46) refurbished at Knowsley Hall.

  • 1899

    Western Gateway to Knowsley Church rebuilt.

  • 1904

    Carved tower screen added to Knowsley Church a gift, of 16th Earl of Derby in gratitude for the safe return of his children from Africa.

  • 1912

    South Wall mosaic of St. Mary's Church started.

  • 1913

    Royal visit to Knowsley by King George V and Queen Mary (KN97).

  • 1915

    Edward George Villiers, 17th Earl of Derby recruited the first Liverpool 'Pals' Battalion (KN92/11) (17th), King's Liverpool Regiment.

  • 1919

    Peace celebrations (MUS1985:20:1) at Knowsley Park.

  • 1923

    A gift of Memorial Windows - 'Victory and Self Sacrifice' given to St. Mary's Church by 17th Earl and his wife.

  • 1930

    Carved oak front cover added to the church font.

  • 1938

    Royal visit to Knowsley by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (KN99).

  • 1945

    Pulpit in memory of Rev. F.A.H. Score added to St. Mary's Church.

  • 1950

    Princess Margaret visits Knowsley Hall.

  • 1954

    Queen Elizabeth II visits Knowsley Hall.

  • 1958

    Opening by Lord Rosebury, of the Memorial Gates (KN93/5) on Knowsley Lane in memory of 17th Earl of Derby.

  • 1971

    Knowsley Safari Park (WFN28) created.

  • 1972

    Grand Lodge (KN141) of Knowsley Estate demolished.

  • 1972

    M57 motorway built crossing part of the Knowsley Park Estate.

  • 1974

    Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley (WFN176) created.

  • 1978

    Dedication of a Chapel in St. Mary's Church, in memory of Maud Cook, popular local school teacher who died in 1974.

  • 1978

    Demolition of Tincle Peg Cottages (KN43).

  • 1981

    Major restoration work carried out at St. Mary's Church.

  • 1994

    Burial in Knowsley St. Mary's Churchyard of Edward, 18th Earl of Derby (WFN138).

(figures in brackets are reference numbers of photos in the main site)




Please send comments or information requests to <webmaster@history.knowsley.gov.uk>
All pages copyright © Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council 1998