Halewood Timeline


  • 13th Century

    Disputes begin over the manor lands between the Holland and Ireland families

  • 15th Century

    Halewood now a separate township from Hale

  • 1628

    The manor of Halewood became part of the dower of Charlotte, (KN137) Countess of Derby.

  • 19th Century

    Halewood still divided between two manors: The Ireland portion held by the Ireland-Blackburnes and the Holland portion by the Earl's of Derby

  • 19th Century

    Halewood crossed by two separate railway links

  • 1839

    Original Chapel of St. Nicholas (HW11) built

  • 1844

    Halewood Parish formed from the civil parishes of Huyton and Childwall

  • 1847

    St. Nicholas Chapel greatly enlarged

  • 1861

    Wesleyan Chapel was built at Halebank

  • 1868

    St. Nicholas (HW76) becomes a rectory and a true Parish Church

  • 1876

    Halewood Village School (HW66) built next door to the Church

  • 1920

    The 'Ireland' portion of Halebank becomes part of the Widnes Corporation

  • 1930

    Land in Halewood North End and part of Halebank held by the 17th Earl of Derby (KN67), was sold to Liverpool Corporation

  • 1950's

    Housing estates including tower blocks (HW63) built to cater for the surge in the population

  • 1963

    Ford Motor Company plant completed at Halewood but in the building of the plant, two ancient moated sites were destroyed: the Old Hutt, and Wrights Moat.

  • 1974

    Halewood became part of the newly created Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley (WFN176).

(figures in brackets are reference numbers of photos in the main site)




Please send comments or information requests to <webmaster@history.knowsley.gov.uk>
All pages copyright © Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council 1998